Monday, May 16, 2011

The Landlord and Mr. Chicken

 Don Knotts. What can I say? He is a god among men. This here is a picture of me by his star on the walk of fame. He of course was Barney on that hillbilly cop show, but I don't even care about that. His true appeal lies in his film roles and in that of Mr. Furley from Three's Company. He is the embodiment of poor taste. From the Reluctant Astronaut(1967) to the Love God(1969, where he plays an accidental Hugh Hefner type) to being an object d' art in Ghost World to ultimately hanging in my garage( a picture, not the actual dude).
Hailing from Morgantown, West Virginia(the highlight of my visit there), this master Appalachian thespian defined the role of know it all "thinks he's cool guy" in comedy. From Andy Griffith to the above movies to playing a landlord, Don could steal a scene without looking like an asshole doing it. He was so likeable, so funny, and a true blue comedian.
The Reluctant Astronaut is a pretty decent 60's movie. That's not saying alot. Love God is pretty boring. I actually believe his role in Ghost World(as Enid's obsession) is his best work.
God bless your soul, Don. You inspire me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment