Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Funk of Forty Thousand Years

 Friday, May 27th is Vincent Price's 100th birthday. He of a million cheesy horror movies, creepy collaborations with musicians, and also art enthusiast and philanthropist. No one exemplifies bad scary movies more than Vinny(other than maybe Bela Lugosi or Jennifer Lopez). His voice is timeless. From Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare to Michael Jackson's Thriller(who knew the guy in the song who sounded like a kid toucher wasn't, but the other guy was?). He embraced his schlocky reputation with glee.
 He was an avid art collector and donated much of it to the East Los Angeles College. He also did a stint on Hollywood Squares, probably one of the worst best  shows ever. I think my first exposure to him was his Tilex commercials. Although, my neighbors and I would put on the Thriller record and reenact it at a young age. That was decades before all these asshole flashmobs and Korean work prisons started staging giant choreographed douche parades for Youtube.
None of his movies really made much of an impression on me. I guess House on Haunted Hill and House of Wax are the most famous. I prefer all of his oddball voice over work instead. Happy birthday, Mr. Price. I'm gonna go huff some Tilex and listen to Alice Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment