Monday, May 9, 2011

I Have Tasted the Maggots in the Mind of the Universe. I was not Offended

 When I  outgrew rap in the late 90's, the first music I latched onto was Parliament and Funkadelic. The music was out there, fonky, and sexual. The costumes and aliases the band members gave themselves were equally out there and mysterious. The album art only added to this sweaty, brain melting stew. They were hand drawn by artist, Pedro Bell.

They were filled with intricate collages of alien nudity, robotic genitalia and spurting fluids of unknown origin.
 These are the kind of albums you need on vinyl. The cd sized art or tiny ITunes icon do these masterpieces no justice. I used to listen to these while drawing my own comic books in my room. Thus they inspired me to grow my hair out, drop out of society, and pretty much carve my own unique path through life despite advice from straight folks on how I should live my life. Most of them are dead or have kids now, so I win.
They also inspired me to draw similar psychedelic and scatological landscapes of my own which I will feature in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment