Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mirror Ball Busters

A confluence of events has led to me writing about that most tasteless of musical genres, disco. I bought some Midori, the watermelon liquor that debuted at Studio 54. I like to have some Midori cocktails when it gets hot out, in lieu of eating actual watermelon, which I detest. Second, I saw a Goldfrapp video today. Third, the horrible movie, 54, was on tv today. It stars the shit movie mainstays, Mike Myers and Ryan Phillipe. It got me to thinking about my favorite dance songs. Let it be known, I love all things disco, from Saturday Night Fever to bell bottoms to Disco Stu from the Simpsons. I love the music, horrible fashion, and extreme decadence that defined Studio 54. It was superficial, vapid and completely reckless(during the onset of AIDS and coke addiction).

In honor of that most self centered, hedonistic period of American history, I present my top ten favorite dance songs. I could do a list of weird, outsider dance songs, but they are covered to death in music blogs. I provide this simply as a soundtrack to your own coke fueled, self destructive boogie wonderland.

10.Hey Ladies- the Beastie Boys
9. Around the World- Daft Punk
8. Disco Inferno- the Trammps
7. Days Go By- Dirty Vegas
6. Ooh La La- Goldfrapp
5. Dancing Queen- ABBA
Honorable mention- Get Crazy- LMFAO(the theme to Jersey Shore)
4. Hung Up- Madonna
3. Big Time Sensuality- Bjork
2. The Hustle- Van McCoy

1. Groove is in the Heart- Dee Lite                                         

To quote Craig Kilborn, "All I want to do is dance...dance...DANCE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment