Sunday, September 11, 2011

25,000 Dollar Pyramid

Let's get this right out. The world trade center and pentagon tragedies were horrible and despicable. I am in no way making light of the gravity of those events. It just dawned on me, on this tenth anniversary, that a weird thing happened to me that week. I had ordered a psychedelic middle eastern record from a vinyl lp purveyor days before the whole shit went down. After said abomination transpired, I draped my apartment windows with American flags, vowed death to every foreigner and blasted Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner at maximum volume. But days later, that record showed up in the mail. It was The Devil's Anvil, a 1967 mashup of acid rock and middle eastern themes on Columbia records.

It is a great record by the way. Produced by Greek Felix Pappalardi(Cream, Mountain, Youngbloods). He often collaborated with New York Jewish fellow, Leslie West of Mountain(lest any New Yorkers take offense). After playing that record and realizing George Bush was about to destroy our precious way of life through paranoia and jingoistic ignorant flag waving, I came to my senses. I blasted that album for years to come. Each time I hear it, I reflect on what really went down in the post 911 era. I never drove my car into a mosque(as some in my town chose to do). Nor did I give up all my liberal ideals and turn republican(Dennis Miller, I'm looking at you). You can find the music quite easily on Youtube if you are so inclined(I won't bother with a link). Just remember on this day, that thousands upon thousands of innocent middle eastern folks died for a petty revenge mission that ultimately accomplished very little. Thank a veteran? Yeah, sure. But maybe also be kind to a foreigner too. And jam the fuck out most importantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment