Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pickled Punks

I first heard of the College of Physicians Mutter Museum on the Opie and Anthony show back around 2000. It has been covered by many other blogs, so I'll just give a quick once over about it. It truly exemplifies what I regard as awesome bad taste. Located in Philadelphia, this creeptorium houses all manner of human oddities preserved for eternity(or at least until Marilyn Manson buys them for his house). Giant and little people skeletons, body parts, conjoined twins in jars and lots of rusty things that used to pass as medical equipment.


 "Pickled punks" are the fetuses in jars that really bring in the crowds. We won a free three day stay at the Philly Ritz Carlton from my wife's work back in 2004, so I eagerly anticipated a visit to the Mutter to see these little runts. I was not disappointed. It was a horror movie brought to life. They had a special exhibit on infectious diseases which convinced me that I had smallpox by the end of the tour. Oddly, I had scalded my hands on some hot tar at work the day before we left for Philly(again, don't ask). They were all blistery and red. I should have shaken one of the employees hands and asked them if they knew what condition I was suffering from.

The only downer is the gift shop. The extent of cool things to buy are little rubber skeleton keychains. I thought for sure they'd have something more gruesome for purchase. I highly recommend going here when in Philly.

No comments:

Post a Comment