Friday, April 29, 2011

Karma's a Nonexistent Bitch

Karma. The oft shouted word by people who can't accept reality. The people who don't believe nice guys finish last. The concept that being nice and helping folks will pay out like some cosmic slot machine. Guess what? Fucking bullshit and a half. People always tell me not to be so mean or belittle others because it will come back to me someday. Never happened. Well, maybe in reverse. I had my share of tragedies growing up well before I became a jaded jerk. So did I commit some offense in another life, or did the gods know I would be a prick and thought to get at me first? I don't know.

How many horrible human beings have never had to pay for their sins? The Rockefellers, Reagan(scratch that, he got Alzheimer's, but way later in life), Terry Bradshaw, and Puff Daddy come to mind. Oh, and Bin Laden. Plenty of innocent people who never had a mean bone in their bodies have suffered immeasurable pain and agony. How do you explain this? Can't. I am nice to people in general. Good coworker, good friend and good citizen. But do I worry when I do dip my toe into the pool of evil that it will somehow come back to bite me? Not really. The worst that can happen is my shitty house burning down or the Eagles reuniting in my front yard. I've seen the lowest lows of mankind(nursing homes, poverty, corporate exploitation of the middle class, death, disease and selfishness). The only thing I can do is point out the frauds, be honest, and do my part to somehow make people's lives better without the threat of retribution from some imaginary force that only exists in the minds of the delusional.

No comments:

Post a Comment